It’s the time of year that many of us in some places around the U.S. Dread. 1Hurricane season! It is for this reason that I would like to share how I stay prepared for natural or man made disasters. In this article I show you some of the essential items dollar items I keep stocked as well as two kits that I have two of each of to compensate for the size of my family. The last item you will see, is one that I am actually in the process of purchasing. It is a one month supply of food that has a shelf life of 25 years! Making purchases like this have nothing to do with paranoia, if you are aware, you know that it is the prudent and wise thing to do. I highly recommend these or something equivalent.
1. LightCyalume SnapLight Yellow Glow Sticks – 6 Inch Industrial Grade, Ultra Bright Light Sticks with 12 Hour Duration (Pack of 10)
Nothing contributes more to a sense of uneasiness than not being able to see in a disaster or any situation. During a time like this it is normal for people to think of flashlights, candles etc. however, glow sticks are items I keep an abundance of. They do not require batteries, they do not require matches, they do not give off any fumes, and they can light up a room. The glow sticks listed above actually last 12 hours and are very inexpensive.
AMIR Solar Powered String Lights, 100 LED Copper Wire Lights, Starry String Lights, Indoor/ Outdoor Waterproof Solar Decoration Lights for Gardens, Home, Dancing, Party Decorative Ornaments (Warm White)
This option is by far my favorite and solves nearly all of my lighting problems during a disaster. Simply string the lights in the key areas of your choice and utilize the power of the sun to light your house!
2. Water storage for cleaning etc
Whatever your needs are for storing water, between the two of these you can easily meet your needs for water to clean with. I have four of the 7 gallon jugs. One for each bathroom and one for the kitchen and so far I haven’t had a disaster where I was forced to use all of the water stored.
Do I need to say anything about the value of peanut butter in a disaster situation? Peanut butter is loaded with protein and is very filling so it should be definitely be on your list!
StarKist Ready-to-Eat Tuna Salad Lunch Kit, Original Deli Style, 3.28 Ounce (Pack of 12)
Tuna another must have in a disaster situation. Tuna also is filled with protein and eases your craving for meat!
Millennium Energy Bars Assorted Flavors 18- pack Including Emergency Guide
These bars will solve two problems, your craving for something sweet, and your need for energy!
4. Drinking water
- FOOD AND WATER RATIONS HAVE FRESH MANUFACTURE DATES AND 5 YEAR SHELF LIFE. Food Rations by SOS FOOD LABS, meet IMO Recommendations and are USCG Approved. Emergency Purified Drinking Water by SOS Food Labs is USCG Approved.
- 4 – 3600 Kcal Emergency Food Ration packet (comes with 9 – 400 kcal fortified food bars) Recommended to eat 3 bars per day, per person. Dimensions are (in) 4.75(H)x 4.375(w)x 2(D) and weight is 1.6 lbs
- 24- Emergency Purified Drinking Water Pouches (4.227 oz. each) Recommended to drink min. 2 packets per day, per person. Dimensions are (in) 7.25(H) x 3.625(H) x 0.5 (D) and weight is 4.227 oz.
- These items are great if your building your own Emergency Preparedness kit or restocking an old kit. Also great for any outdoor activity, camping, fishing, hiking, hunting, boating or in your car or travel trailer as an emergency back-up
- 72 HOUR (3 DAY) FOUR PERSON EMERGENCY PREPAREDNESS KIT. WITH FOOD RATIONS AND EMERGENCY WATER FOR YOUR DISASTER, SURVIVAL, STORM, EARTHQUAKE, HURRICANE, BUG OUT KIT.
5. Complete survival kit
- 72-HOUR SUSTAINABILITY: This 4-person emergency go bag contains a premium Sawyer Squeeze water filtration system that allows you to take advantage of nearby water sources while avoiding contaminants. The kit also includes 48 packets of Datrex water and the highest-quality freeze-dried Mountain House food for four people. Use the included portable stove to warm up dinner. After an emergency, the most essential human needs are water & food. If tap water is unavailable, your family could be in serious danger.
- HIGHEST-QUALITY ITEMS: While disaster isn’t fun for anyone, it doesn’t have to mean a lack of quality. The tools, food and water provided in your emergency go bag are all top-of-the-line items in their class. Premium items included: 1 Large backpack, 24 Mountain House food servings, 48 Packets of Datrex water, 1 Sawyer Squeeze, 8 Cyalume SnapLights, 2 LED lanterns, 2 flashlights, 1 fully stocked First Aid Kit, 4 emergency blankets, 2 bath wipes, 1 portable stove, 4 bowls and utensils, 1 MoraKniv knife, 1 Ferrocerium rod, 4 InstaFire tinder, and 4 whistles.
- PREMIUM EMERGENCY GO BAG: This 4-person emergency go bag contains supplies for four people to survive a natural disaster. When facing a crisis, you can rely on your kit to provide first aid, basic nutrition, hygiene and more. While it’s intended for use when sheltering in place in your home, the water-resistant pack is easily transportable in the event of a sudden evacuation order. It contains several inside pockets to store additional items.
- FIRST AID: After an emergency, health care providers may not be able to reach you for some time. It’s essential that you’re prepared to administer minor first aid to your family as needed. This premium 4-person emergency go bag contains all the basic first aid items you might need: a variety of bandages, pain relievers, ointment, gauze & tape, sanitary gloves, and a first aid guide. Keep everyone clean and comfortable with instant bath wipes in your survival kit.
- BE COMFORTABLY PREPARED: The extreme darkness during a power outage can make even the most steadfast person nervous – and imagine how the younger members of your family will feel. Your 4-person emergency kit contains 3 light source options – a flashlight, Ferrocerium rod, SnapLights and an LED lantern to help illuminate the night and make your emergency go bag lets you weather the storm in comfort.
6. One month supply of food
- 25 YEAR SHELF LIFE. This kind of long-term viability means you can use this food storage as survival, emergency, or preparedness food. Whether you need it next month or next decade, this food won’t spoil until a quarter century has passed.
- REAL, ALL-NATURAL. Our products are just as real and tasty as anything you’d find at the grocery store. No hydrogenated oils, GMO’s, or MSG. Because it’s 100% real, it’s a fantastic source of nutrition.
- JUST ADD WATER. Great-tasting, and its just a cup of boiling water away. Alternatively, eat it dry for a convenient, healthy snack. PERFECT FOR COOKING OR SNACKING. Throw some in with one of our delicious freeze-dried meals to boost the protein content and add a flavorful twist.
- PREMIUM AIRTIGHT, RESEALABLE POUCH. Our bags are strong, extremely durable and designed to last. The bags will hold up inside a backpack or on the shelf. Because the bags are re-sealable, you don’t have to worry about spills or messes.
Now I’m not going to tell you in this article what to buy to protect your family. However, know that protection is necessary when it comes to disaster situations. When there is a lack of resources like food, water, light etc. people become desperate and criminals become more bold. Home invasions, looting, and robberies all increase. So, with that being said I think you get the picture, you have to decide what you are comfortable with as for as protecting your families. However, be realistic about what would actually discourage someone from walking in and taking everything you have to take care of your family with. That’s all I am going to say about that I think it’s clear. I hope this article helped you to visualize an emergency preparedness plan that you will begin execute now not later. Feel free to follow the links and get started today!